With all the hoopla about health plans today there may not be enough attention given to what may be one of the most important things we can do for our health. Dental health can be attributed to the overall health of any individual. Whether the health of our teeth is just a reflection of what is going on in the rest of the body or a precursor to poor health in general, taking care of our teeth is essential to creating better health.
1. Diagnostics – Routine examination with X-rays and other techniques to determine if there is existing dental disease or what procedures are needed
2. Preventative – Procedures that fall into this category are Cleanings, Fluoride treatments, Space maintainers and others that are intended to maintain oral health
3. Restoration – Repair or reconstruction of the natural teeth
4. Endodontics – Procedures like Root Canal therapy treat dental pulp disease
5. Periodontics – Procedures that treat the supporting structures of teeth such as the gums in order to help maintain or improve the health of the gums
6. Oral Surgery – Surgery of the mouth or jaw area like extraction of teeth that remove problem areas that could spread to other teeth
7. Prosthodontics – Dentures, Partials, Bridges, and other devices that replace or repair missing teeth
8. Orthodontics – Repositioning of the natural teeth that are abnormally positioned
9. Pedodontics – Dental treatment of children before all their permanent teeth have erupted
Also included in these benefits are provisions for procedures that will reduce or eliminate pain during the procedures, consultation with a professional and emergency treatment.
Although some Health Insurance plans include dental coverage many do not, and since oral health is implicated as a factor in overall health having a dental insurance plan just makes good sense. With the cost of dental procedures always a consideration when visiting a dental professional having a little help can mean the difference between receiving the right treatment or putting it off until it is too late to save the teeth.